Nursing remains one of the most dangerous professions. In fact, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that healthcare professionals and social workers make up 70% of workplace violence incidents. That’s why we worked tirelessly to push CalOSHA to do something about it. At our urging, they agreed to develop better standards to prevent violence in our hospitals and other healthcare facilities. These new regulations (Title 8, California Code of Regulations, Section 3342) are the most comprehensive, enforceable workplace violence prevention standards in the nation—of any industry.
With these regulations, violence is no longer considered…“Just part of the job.”
It’s up to us to ensure these
new regulations are enforced!
By April 1, 2018, management at our hospitals should have:
- Completed a comprehensive hazard assessment for each unit and each shift
- Worked with RNs and our Union to develop a prevention plan
- Involved RNs to evaluate the plan once it is developed
- Developed training on the prevention plan with RNs and our Union
- Trained all staff on the plan and how to implement its safety requirements
Visit www.bit.ly/wpv2018 to let our Stewards and our Union Organizer know what’s happening at our hospitals.
We won these powerful, new regulations…BECAUSE WE STOOD TOGETHER.
Contact our Steward or our Union Organizer.