It’s important to remember that WE are the Union. SEIU Local 121RN is a member-led Union, directed by our member-elected Officers and our Executive Board. Our 121RN Bylaws state that the “Executive Board shall be composed of Local Union officers, all Chapter Presidents, or permanent designee, plus one elected Representative for every 400 members, or portion thereof…”
All Executive Board Representatives:
- Must be members in good standing.
- Will support and carry out the decisions of the 121RN Union-wide Leadership body at each Chapter.
- Are familiar with and enforce our Union contract.
- Participate in Union meetings and activities.
- Organize and mobilize co-workers to effectively address workplace issues.
- Help to distribute flyers and other communications with a network of activists.
- May participate in Labor-Management and other committees to improve workplace conditions.
- Support the bargaining process of the Chapters.
- Responsible for informing Chapter membership of Union programs and supporting Union-wide Leadership decisions.
- In conjunction with the Union Rep/Organizer, works on strategy and plan to make improvements at the worksite.
- Presides over Chapter meetings and Steward Council meetings.
- May chair committee meetings at the worksite (e.g. Labor Management, Patient Care, etc.).
- Takes on roles and responsibilities of Chapter President in his/her absence.
- Chairs COPE committee (our Nurse-Powered Politics fund).
- Responsible for coordination, education and mobilization in support of political programs.
- Responsible for communications within the Chapter.
- Takes minutes at Chapter meetings and responsible for distribution of Chapter meeting minutes.
- Chairs Membership Committee.
There are additional requirements for each Chapter Officer position and details are available. If interested, please talk with a Union Steward or our Union Rep/Organizer.