What do I need to bring?
Please have your Union scrubs. Each RN should also bring an old extra pair of Nursing shoes to leave behind on the Capitol lawn. This is to emphasize our demand that our elected representatives “walk a day in our shoes” before they make decisions about the work of a Nurse.
Each RN will determine whatever they need to feel comfortable. Some ideas include:
- Comfortable clothing for the bus travel (some find the air conditioning on the bus cold, so think warm)
- Small toiletries kit
- Small pillow/blanket (to try to get some shuteye on the trip there)
Are we responsible for our own meals?
SEIU Local 121RN is providing breakfast, lunch and dinner on Sept. 11th and we’ll have small snacks available on the buses.
Why are we taking buses?
We are scaling WAY up compared to our usual advocacy efforts in Sacramento. We plan on 100 Nurses from SEIU Local 121RN going up to the state capital to speak out about the crisis in our hospitals. Remember last year when the Governor vetoed our bill? We need to make sure that doesn’t happen again. We often take small groups of RNs up to testify in hearings or lobby key legislators—but this time, we need to do something different to win this. We plan to fill two large charter buses and turn Sacramento PURPLE.
What is the itinerary?
Although subject to adjustments, here is what to expect on our turnaround trip:
- We will have a press event at the Pasadena office in the evening before we board the buses.
- We depart late on Sept. 10th and drive through the night to arrive in Sacramento early in the morning and head straight to the SEIU State Council office.
- We will have time to quickly freshen up, put on scrubs and have breakfast there before walking across the street to the Capitol building.
- There on the Capitol grounds, we will pile up our Nursing shoes and hold another press event.
- Once finished with our press event, we’ll return to State Council, have lunch and then board buses for home.
- We will stop for dinner on the return trip.
- We expect to return between 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
Do I need to request a day off?
Members participate on their own time and, if necessary, must request vacation or other leave time from their employers to join the trip. Please note that due to the departure and return times, members may want to take additional day(s) before and/or after the travel dates.