Protecting Healthcare Workers from
Aerosol Transmissible Diseases
Sponsored by SEIU 121RN/SEIU Nurse Alliance/UCLA-LOSH
In 2009, a new California occupational health standard was adopted to protect nurses and other healthcare workers from infectious agents such as tuberculosis and measles, as well as novel diseases such as Ebola. The Cal/OSHA Aerosol Transmissible Disease Standard is an enforceable regulation that applies in healthcare, corrections, and other higher risk environments.
The course will emphasize how nurses can use the regulation to secure protections against aerosol transmissible diseases in their facilities.
• Participants will learn the scientific basis for the Cal/OSHA ATD standard and be able to highlight specific provisions of the regulation.
• Will be able to utilize the standard to protect their patients, their co-workers and themselves against ATDs.
• Will be able to act as a resource for their unit.
CEUs: Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, CEP: 14634, for 6.0 Contact Hours
Staffing & Acuity Systems
May 23, 2017 • 9 am to 4 pm
Registration & Breakfast begins at 8 a.m.
$20 – Continental breakfast & lunch provided
This class will review the history, the types and the purpose of the patient classification system. By the end of the class the participant should be able to:
1. Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of various types of patient classification systems.
2. Analyze how patient classification tools can be used to identify the need for increased support staff.
3. Understand how to test for validity and reliability in an acuity tool.
4. Address changing your hospital’s PCS to more accurately reflect the workload and patient care needs.
5. Prepare for:
a) an individual unit’s meeting to address PCS issues and/or
b) Address the annual Patient Classification System Committee meeting
CEUs: Provider No. 14634 approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing for seven (7) contact hours.
Questions? Contact Donalda Dunnett
Call (626) 639-6163.
Fax (626) 395-7538
Click Buy Now to pay online through PayPal ($23 to pay online)
SEIU Joint Employer Education Fund
The SEIU UHW-West & Joint Employer Education Fund offers free classes that give RNs continuing education units to use toward renewing their license. The courses are FREE to RNs at Hollywood Presbyterian, John F. Kennedy Memorial, Kaiser Moreno Valley Community Hospital, Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center, Northridge Hospital Medical Center, Riverside Community Hospital, St. John’s Pleasant Valley Hospital, St. John’s Regional Medical Center, and West Hills Hospital & Medical Center. (These employers contribute to the Joint Employer Education Fund.) Application does not ensure acceptance. Applicants will be contacted by the Education Fund if their application is accepted.
Advance Your Career (AYC) Program
If you are an RN in an advanced degree program, the AYC program is designed to assist you with financial support. If you are accepted, AYC will reimburse you for costs related to tuition, mandatory student fees, required textbooks, and certification exam costs, up to a $5,250 per program. AYC participants should be prepared to pay costs upfront, or make financial arrangements with their schools. Please note: Self-paced programs are not eligible. Entrance exams, exam review classes, and exam fees for tests leading to entry-level license/certification (i.e. NCLEX,TEAS) are only supported in conjunction with an entire education program. They will not be reimbursed independently.
Who is eligible? You must be:
- You must work in a participating SEIU bargaining unit position at a contributing employer.
- You must be a regular full- or part-time employee eligible for benefits. Non-benefited employees are eligible only after working in their position for six (6) months and when the training program is less than 40 hours.
- Your training program must be through an accredited and/or state-approved educational provider.
- If you are planning ahead, you must submit your application a minimum of 45 days before the start of your training program.
- If you have already completed training or you are in training now, you must submit your application no later than three (3) months after your last training date.
Online Continuing Education
Online continuing education unit courses (CEUs) are available 24/7 for you to take at your convenience. You have unlimited access to hundreds of titles through CE Direct.
Sign up today at www.edfundceus.org
Our professional development program serves employees working in fields which require licensure and/or certification. In addition to providing access to a variety of continuing education (CE) classes, we also provide fianancial support to help you obtain additional licenses/certifications.
To find the most updated schedule and applications, visit seiu-uhweduc.org/pd
License / Certification Reimbursement
We will reimburse up to $1,000 for a review class, review materials, and exam fee to obtain:
A new specialty license or certification in your general job area. This includes any specialty that can be obtained by those working in your field. For example, specialty areas like CCRN, CNOR, CRRN, PRN, etc.