SEIU Local 121RN Staff Coordinator
Who We Are: SEIU Local 121RN is a powerful voice representing more than 9,000 Registered Nurses and Healthcare Professionals in Southern California. We are leading the fight to win strong contracts, strong workplace protections and strong, safe staffing standards at hospitals in Los Angeles, Ventura and Riverside counties. Learn more here.
Job Description: The Staff Coordinator is responsible for coordination, implementation, execution and completion of specific administrative and campaign projects ensuring consistency with the Local’s strategy, vision and annual plan goals. The Coordinator performs a wide variety of administrative, secretarial and customer service, staff support and general office administrative activities. Must be quick, attentive to detail and ensure the safety and security of information. The ideal candidate combines a strong background in project management, attention to detail and the ability to prioritize tasks in a rapid-changing environment.
Responsibilities (representative sample, not exhaustive):
- Provide administrative, database and logistical campaign support to Representation/Internal Organizing Department, Collective Bargaining Department, Political Department, Organizing Department and others.
- Provide administrative and database support to General Counsel.
- Answer the main phone line, route callers to appropriate person/department.
- Internal correspondence/mailings: add postage to outgoing mail for in-house work, distribute incoming mail and faxes to appropriate staff, including to regional offices.
- External mailings: assist with preparation of materials, coordinate support as needed, arrange for printing with mail house.
- Taking, typing and distributing minutes of E-Board meetings, as back-up.
- Coordination of travel arrangements for staff and members.
- Maintain the 121RN internal staff calendar with meeting room reservations, holidays and other events.
- Order food for meetings, events, bargaining sessions and various trainings and workshops. Set-up and clean-up of food orders.
- Handle confidential materials and time-sensitive information such as correspondence, letters, fliers, forms, announcements, etc., for all departments.
- Maintain physical and electronic filing system for various Union projects, campaigns, other information.
- Triage member requests and/or complaints (telephone and walk-ins) and refer to appropriate staff for resolution.
- Greet vendors and other visitors and direct to appropriate personnel/department.
- Signs for packages and other deliveries and ensures they are received by intended recipient(s).
- Maintain and track inventory of Union visibility items. Responsible for ordering and dissemination.
- Coordinate requests for use of RV for events and obtain city permits as needed.
- Prepare and maintain New Employee Orientation packets and other materials needed for Steward trainings, etc.
- Maintain fully equipped and stocked copy rooms and supplies for all offices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Minimum of three years’ experience, five years or more is preferable, in managing administrative support work, projects and campaigns as well as secretarial/administrative support in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with and working knowledge of data management systems.
- Intermediate level knowledge of Outlook.
- Proficiency in MS Word and working knowledge of other Microsoft programs (e.g. Excel, PowerPoint).
- Excellent follow-up skills required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability think and act quickly with minimal guidance.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Ability to multi-task, meet and manage multiple deadlines, be adaptable and flexible in a fast-paced environment and high-pressure situations.
- Professional attire and behavior required.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Willingness and ability to work long and irregular hours (evenings, weekends, holidays as needed).
- Must have a car, a valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
Typical Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some of these are:
- Regularly operate a computer, cell phone, and other general office equipment.
- Stand, walk, and sit for hours at a time.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Office hours are generally 8 hours per day, 5 days per week. However, the role will require a commitment to often work long and irregular hours to prepare for and attend events and union activities on weekends, evenings and some holidays (e.g., Labor Day), or to complete assignments that cannot be completed in an 8-hour workday.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can elevate during events and campaign activities.
The Staff Coordinator interacts with Union members, Executive Board members, Officers, staff and visitors. It is crucial to have the ability to communicate and relate respectfully with a diverse membership and staff, and to be able to provide prompt and efficient support to staff and members.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time, salaried, overtime-exempt position.
Salary range for this position is between $70,000 and $75,000, depending on the amount of the candidate’s relevant professional experience. This position is represented by a staff Union. SEIU Local 121RN offers a generous benefit package including medical, dental, vision, and both a defined benefit pension plan and a 401(K) plan and generous holiday and vacation policies.
Please send your letter of interest, resume and three (3) references via email, with the job title Staff Coordinator in the subject line to Brandy Grey, Executive Assistant/Operations Coordinator at email@example.com.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
SEIU Local 121RN is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates without regard for race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, creed, gender, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, the presence of sensory, mental or physical disability, or any other discrimination prohibited by law. SEIU Local 121RN is committed to the fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
People of color and women are encouraged to apply.