The External Organizer role is on the cutting edge of progressive activism. This essential role helps build power for healthcare workers and leads the way in healthcare reform.
This position reports to the Organizing Director. This job description is subject to change and does not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
- Conduct broad and intensive outreach efforts to non-union workers.
- Build one-on-one relationships with workers.
- Identify, recruit and develop worker leaders.
- Conduct individual and group meetings with workers.
- Engage, motivate and mobilize workers to take action.
- Plan and execute actions and events to support worker organizing efforts.
- The role requires a commitment to often work long and irregular hours to prepare for and attend events and Union activities on evenings, weekends and some holidays (e.g., Labor Day), or to complete assignments not completed in an 8-hour workday or during the week.
- Get out the Vote events (all staff): Participate in occasional neighborhood canvassing events
- Civic Actions (all staff): Support our nurses during civic events through attendance and participation. This may include, but is not limited to, annual events such as May Day and other Labor-events including marches or parades; or strikes, lawful protests and rallies, or other civic actions and activities.
- Other duties as assigned
Job Specifications: Qualifications, Skills, Experience and Attributes:
- A strong interest in the labor movement, and/or the healthcare industry.
- 1+ year experience as an Organizer – preferably in the healthcare sector.
- Strong ability to connect and build professional relationships with highly educated nurses and professionals of varying backgrounds in pursuit of a common goal.
- Ability to meet deadlines and juggle a large workload in a fast-paced campaign environment.
- An independent and critical thinker with the ability to learn and understand complex issues quickly.
- Ability to travel throughout Southern California frequently and for long periods of time.
- Bilingual in Spanish, Mandarin or Tagalog are a plus.
- Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature.
- Ability to perform with frequent interruptions and/or distractions
- Ability to work independently and identify potentially more effective methods of work operation.
- Ability to adapt to frequent changes in workload.
- Must maintain a current, valid driver’s license, working automobile (or reliable transportation) with current auto insurance.
Typical Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. The working conditions for this position is mostly clean, and comfortable but may include some minor annoyances such as noise, odors, drafts, etc. Some of these include, but are not limited to:
- Regularly operate a computer, cell phone, and other general office equipment.
- Stand, walk, and/or sit for long periods of time.
- Traverse in the office and in an outside environment during various types of events. This may include moving, or being stationary, for multiple hours, in outside conditions. Traversing may include ascending/descending stairs.
- Move through the office to access file cabinets and operate office equipment
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can elevate during events and campaign activities.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed large crowds in public gatherings and public locations, in outside weather conditions.
- The role will require a commitment to often work long and irregular hours to prepare for and attend events and Union activities on weekends, evenings and some holidays (e.g., Labor Day), or to complete assignments that cannot be completed in a regular workday or during the week.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
- Salary for this position is commensurate with the amount of experience. This position is represented by a staff Union.
- SEIU Local 121RN offers a generous benefit package including medical, dental, vision, and both a defined benefit pension plan and a 401(K) plan and generous holiday and vacation policies.
Email a résumé with cover letter with the job title External Organizer explaining interest and qualifications to Carolynne Roderick at email@example.com.
SEIU Local 121RN is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
People of color and women are encouraged to apply.