Nomination petitions for the offices of President, Vice President, and Secretary-Treasurer will be available August 8, 2022. Members will have until 12:00 p.m. on August 30, 2022 to collect and submit completed petitions. Candidates must accept nomination on the nomination petition by indicating “yes” on the petition and signing it. All completed petitions must be submitted by fax to (888) 371-1238 or emailed to electionscommittee@SEIU121RN.org. The terms of office will run for three years beginning January 10, 2023. As provided in the SEIU Local 121RN Bylaws, any member who has paid dues through May 31, 2022, is in good standing and eligible to nominate candidates. Any member who has been in continuous good standing for the past two years (defined as continuously current on all member dues since June 1, 2020) may run for office. The last day to pay back dues owed between June 1, 2020 and May 31, 2022, to be considered in good standing and eligible for nomination is August 29, 2022. The last day to pay dues for May of 2022 to be eligible to nominate a candidate and to vote in an election is August 29, 2022.
MK Elections, a neutral third-party election monitor, will conduct this election via mail-in ballot (assuring secrecy and accuracy). Ballots will be mailed on or about September 14, 2022, and are estimated to hit mailboxes on or about September 17, 2022. If you do not receive a ballot by September 21, 2022, please contact MK Elections at 209-259-6740. Any member requesting a replacement ballot must attest that they have not received a ballot and have not cast the same. The deadline for requesting a replacement ballot is by 5:00 p.m. on October 4, 2022. Please ensure we have your current physical mailing address; visit www.bit.ly/121RN-Connect. Completed ballots must be received in the designated P.O. Box no later than 9:00 a.m. on October 14, 2022. Any member who has paid dues through May 31, 2022, prior to 5:00 p.m. on August 29, 2022, is in good standing and will be eligible to vote. Ballots will be counted at 10:00 a.m. on October 14, 2022, at the Pasadena office, 1040 Lincoln Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91103. Observers will be permitted (please contact the Election Committee for more information).
Election protest and appeals must be filed no later than 15 days from the October 14th date of the election (which would be October 29, 2022) to the election committee at electionscommittee@SEIU121RN.org.
SEIU Local 121RN, 1040 Lincoln Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91103 www.seiu121rn.org
SEIU Constitutional Eligibility Requirements
The following are the eligibility requirements that apply to any member who wants to be a candidate for nomination and election to local union office. Article XV, Section 2, of the 2020 SEIU Constitution and Bylaws sets out eligibility requirements for candidates for local union office and Executive Board member in the local union. They are as follows:
- Two Years Continuous Good Standing. (has paid all dues and other financial obligations on or before the last day of each month when due.)
- No Conviction of a Disqualifying Crime. Disqualifying crimes for any candidate as listed under LMRDA Section 504. The period of disqualification is 13 years from the conviction or from the end of any imprisonment resulting from such conviction, whichever is later.
- Members Paying less than full dues are ineligible. Associate members, life members, and members paying less than the full dues required for working members of the local union are not eligible for nomination as an officer, member of the executive board, delegate, or any other office in the local union. See 2020 SEIU Constitution and Bylaws, Article XV, Sec. 2.
- Time for Campaigning. The local must provide a reasonable period of time prior to the election during which candidates and their supporters may engage in campaigning.
- Equal Treatment. The local must treat all candidates equally with regard to the opportunity to campaign. Campaign rules must be the same for everyone and any privileges extended to one candidate must be extended to all candidates for the same position.
- Distribution of Campaign Literature. Section 401 (c) of the LMRDA requires unions to comply with all reasonable requests of any candidate to distribute his/her campaign literature to members in good standing at the candidate’s own expense.
- Inspection of Membership List. Section 401 (c) also provides that each bona fide candidate for office has a right once within thirty (30) days prior to the election in which he/she is a candidate to inspect a list of names and last-known addresses of all members of the local union (in their bargaining unit).
- Prohibition on the Use of Union or Employer Funds or Resources. Section 401 (g) of the LMRDA prohibits the use of any employer or union funds to promote the candidacy of any person to union office. Any expenditure on behalf of a candidate, even if the amount is small, is a violation and constitutes grounds to set aside an election. Campaigning on union or company time is prohibited.
|May 31, 2022||Only members in continuous good standing from this June 1, 2020 through May 31, 2022 are eligible to be candidates.|
|May 31, 2022||Only members who have paid dues through this date (members in good standing) are eligible to vote.|
|1-Aug-22||On or about this date, Nomination/Election notice, rules, and timeline mailed to members. Email blast of Nomination/Election notice, rules, and timeline sent.|
|8-Aug-22||Nominating petitions available starting on this date. Email blast of Nomination petition sent.|
|12-Aug-22||First day of 30-day inspection window by potential candidates of membership list. The list shall be maintained at the Pasadena office. Each candidate shall be entitled to inspect the list once and may not make copies.|
|29-Aug-22||The last day to pay back dues owed between June 1, 2020 and May 31, 2022, to be considered in good standing and eligible for nomination. The last day to pay dues for May of 2022 to be eligible to nominate a candidate and to vote in the election.|
|30-Aug-22||Deadline for receipt of nominating petitions to election committee by fax (888) 371-1238 or email Electionscommittee@seiu121rn.org. The petitions must be received by 12:00 p.m.|
|30-Aug-22||Election committee will certify candidates, email qualification/disqualification letters to nominees. In the event a candidate’s nominators were not qualified to nominate the candidate, the candidate must submit additional qualified nominator(s) by 4:00 p.m. on September 1, 2022.|
|2-Sep-22||Meeting of the candidates with Election Committee.|
|14-Sep-22||On or about this date, ballots are mailed out to members in good standing.|
|17-Sep-22||Approx. date ballots should be received by member.|
|21-Sep-22||If members do not receive ballot by this date, they should contact MK Elections at 209-259-6740 to receive a replacement ballot. Member must attest that they have not received a ballot and they have not cast a ballot.|
|4-Oct-22||Deadline to request from MK Elections at 209-259-6740 a replacement ballot.|
|14-Oct-22||Deadline for ballots to be received to dedicated P.O. box. Only those ballots received by 9:00 a.m. will be counted.|
|14-Oct-22||Counting of Ballots by neutral third-party vendor and election committee at the Pasadena office at 10:00 a.m.|
|October 29, 2022||Deadline for Election protests/appeals to be sent to the Election committee by fax (888) 371-1238 or email Electionscommittee@seiu121rn.org.|