The Communications Specialist will execute a robust communications program for SEIU Local 121RN members, with an emphasis on social media; digital campaigning; print and digital design; and media relations—all with a keen grasp of our mission and message. Working in this role, you will contribute to driving our central narrative—that union members are the strongest advocates for the safety of patients and healthcare workers alike.
The Communications Department produces and disseminates all member-facing content and broadcasts the union’s efforts to the public and non-union workers.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to work independently, as well as part of a highly effective team. They will thrive in an environment with tight deadlines, shifting priorities, high-pressure and irregular hours. They must embrace and have a commitment to further the work of the union.
Examples of Duties:
- Help to design social media campaigns and content for current and developing platforms and maintain a regular social media calendar.
Design, prepare and edit print material including newsletters, posters, flyers, brochures and mailers.
- Create engaging email content with a focus on driving action.
- Create and edit video for internal and external audiences.
- Develop and update website and campaign microsites using a content management system.
- Assist with multiple campaigns across traditional and digital media.
- Help develop, manage and extend a consistent brand for the organization through all work products.
- Ensure content is kept up-to-date and adheres to editorial house style and brand guidelines.
- Document in-person events such as rallies, press conferences and pickets.
- Serve as a media liaison for in-person events.
- In conjunction with the Membership Department, help to update contact lists used for communications with an eye on optimizing available data.
- When needed, participate in campaign strategy and planning meetings with the Communications Director and other Union Leadership.
- Perform other duties as required to support goals and mission of the Union
- Demonstrated design, verbal, visual/graphic, communications skills. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Competence in proofreading and editing.
- Demonstrated proficiency in; Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier); knowledge of HTML and web development using a content management system.
- Experience in growing and maintaining social media accounts and managing communities a strong plus.
- Knowledge of peer-to-peer and broadcast text message tools.
- Knowledge of EveryAction email platform or similar CRM.
- Strong photography and video skills with an emphasis on producing video for social media platforms.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and manage conflicting priorities.
- A high level of judgment; ability to take initiative and work independently; ability to collaboratively work with leaders, members, and staff in complex and sometimes sensitive political situations, always exercising a high level of professionalism.
- Three (3) or more years in communications for a progressive political campaign, activist campaign, non-profit or other related experience.
- Experience in the labor movement in a communications capacity a strong plus.
- Strong commitment to progressive social change and activism.
- Ability to travel for planning meetings, events and member meetings. (Currently, most work can be performed while working-from-home, but some travel may be necessary.)
- Willingness to work long, varied hours including evenings and some weekends.
- Skills and/or experience in targeted and precise message development to diverse audiences including represented members, community groups, allies and elected officials preferred.
Typical Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, requirements include:
- Regularly operate a computer, cell phone, and other general office equipment.
- Occasionally walk from door to door (i.e., during get-out-the-vote campaigns) for 3 hours at a time with rest and meal breaks.
- Stand, walk, and sit for hours at a time.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- A regular work week is generally 8 hours per day, 5 days per week. However, the role will require a commitment to often work long and irregular hours to prepare for and attend events and union activities on weekends, evenings and some holidays (e.g., Labor Day), or to complete assignments that cannot be completed in an 8-hour workday.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can elevate during events and campaign activities.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions
- The Communications Specialist should be based in Southern California, with the ability to work out of our Pasadena office when necessary. Occasional work out of other regional offices and some travel across Southern California may be required.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance and a reliable automobile for business use.
- Four-year college degree or above preferred, but a combination of comparable skills, professional certifications and/or experience in the Communications field will be considered.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time, salaried, overtime-exempt position.
Salary for this position is between $75,000 and $90,000+ per year, commensurate with the amount of the candidate’s relevant professional communications experience.
SEIU Local 121RN offers a generous benefit package including medical, dental, vision, and both a defined benefit pension plan and a 401(K) plan and generous holiday and vacation policies. This position is represented by a staff union.
Please send your letter of interest and résumé as well as relevant work product samples (graphic/print design sample, social media account or campaign plan, letter to an elected official/community leader, op/ed, video, website, etc.) with the job title Communications Specialist Position in the subject line to Communications Director Hal Weiss, firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls or direct messages, please.
SEIU Local 121RN is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
People of color and women are encouraged to apply.