The Research Analyst supports the strategic direction of the organization and provides research support for both internal bargaining and external organizing drives. The Research Analyst is responsible for supporting the Union’s strategic plan, carrying out research projects, providing costing and research support in contract bargaining, assessing the financial health of companies, and producing reports, white papers, or memos for diverse audiences.
The Research Analyst reports to the Research Director. This job description is subject to change and does not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
- Supports the Union’s bargaining and organizing campaigns.
- Works with the Union’s Chief Negotiators to provide research and costing support for bargaining; track and report on hospital industry trends, dissect hospital budgets, and analyze financial reports, as well as health insurance plans.
- Supports the Union’s organizing staff in performing corporate and industry research, helping to identify and evaluate strategic campaign options.
- Other duties as assigned, including get out the vote programs, civic actions, and demonstrations.
Qualifications, Skills, Experience and Attributes:
- Strong commitment to progressive/labor causes
5 years of union or related research experience, preferred
- BA or higher, ideally in economics, policy, finance, public administration, math, or social science
- Strong technical research and quantitative skills
- Excellent writing ability and analytical skills
- Strong people skills and ability to coordinate as part of teams
- Strong Excel and data-management skills
- Ability to perform a variety of duties, at times with frequent interruptions and/or distractions
- Ability to work independently and identify effective methods of work operation
Typical Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. The working conditions for this position are mostly clean and comfortable but may include some minor annoyances such as noise, odors, drafts, etc. Demands include, but are not limited to:
- Regularly operate a computer, cell phone, and other general office equipment.
- Stand, walk, and/or sit for long periods of time.
- Traverse in the office and in an outside environment during various types of events. This may include moving, or being stationary, for multiple hours, in outside conditions. Traversing may include ascending/descending stairs.
- Move through the office to access file cabinets and operate office equipment
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can elevate during events and campaign activities.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed large crowds in public gatherings and public locations, in outside weather conditions.
- The role will require a commitment to often work long and irregular hours to prepare for and attend events and Union activities on weekends, evenings and some holidays (e.g., Labor Day), or to complete assignments that cannot be completed in a regular workday or during the week.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time, salaried, overtime-exempt, unionized position.
The salary range is $77,000 - $100,000+, depending on candidate’s relevant professional research experience.
SEIU Local 121RN offers a generous benefit package including medical, dental and vision benefits, a defined benefit pension plan, and a 401(K) plan, as well as generous holiday and vacation policies.
Please send your letter of interest and résumé via email with to Dan Braun at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Research Analyst Position” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.